Pages

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Bloor St Red Carpet Reopening and Exotic Car Show

After years of endless construction, the stretch on Bloor St. between Yonge and Avenue Road finally finished its upgrades and celebrated with a "red carpet event".  This Bloor-Yorkville area has been designated Toronto's "Mink Mile" because of its slew of high end retail stores including the usual suspects like Gucci, Tiffany, Chanel, Hermes, Prada (and Winners??).  This transformation project has resulted in wider streets, huge planter boxes filled with trees and flowers and benches.

While the red carpet event featured food stalls and live music, the main attraction was the Exotic Car Show.

Since I describe cars mainly in terms of their colour and visual appeal, my favourite car was this two toned 1955 Jaguar XK140.

This Rolls Royce Phantom had fold down trays in the back seats along with a James Bond-like control panel, presumably for personal temperature adjustments.


Speaking of James Bond cars, there were multiple Aston Martins on display including one that featured the sign "Shaken Not Stirred" with a large martini glass.  But I thought this light blue 1959 DB4 was more attractive.


My second favourite car of this show was this 1994 Morgan +8 Convertible.  I liked its shape and style and colour, which is pretty much all I go by when I look at a car.  It wouldn't fit my bicycle though, which is my main car buying criteria, so functionally I guess this is not for me.


Rich liked the Jaguars, especially this pale green 1960s E-Type.  I found it interesting but impractical the way the front hood is lifted.  It seems to give you a limited access to the engine, but I guess people wealthy enough to own these cars have someone else worry about that.  Rich told me the engine for this car was a V12, which I said sounded like a vegetable drink.. oh, or is that a V8?



The other fun thing at the event were a couple of body painted models that you could pose for a free photo with.  Most people other than the young kids were too embarrassed to take up the offer.

No comments: