I concluded that Irani did an excellent job by focusing on the four main characters and distilling the important elements of the plot to fit into a reasonably long play, conveying entire chapters of events into single expositional dialogues. In this manner, we found out about the horrors that befell Isvar’s and Om’s families who were brutally murdered by a sadistic upper-caste landowner, about Dina’s struggles for financial and physical independence from her abusive brother, and of Manesh’s hazing in his school dorms that led him to seek lodgings with Dina. I was also surprised to find that the overall tone of the play was not as oppressive and downtrodden as I expected. While the horrors described in the book were definitely portrayed, they were interspersed with lighter, more personal and even tender moments of interaction between the characters and I was amazed at the few moments where I actually chuckled softly. By the end of the play, I was definitely grateful not to have been born to a lower caste in India, but I also admired the spirit, and yes, resilience of these poor people who could find a tiny bit of joy in midst of all the tragedy that they have encountered.
The actors portraying the four main characters were superb, as were the two extra actors who played all the other roles, including a bent-over, aged tax collector and an armless/legless beggar. But as always with every play at Crow’s Theatre, what impressed me most was the staging. The main set is Dina’s apartment with a door and verandah stage left, the living room and kitchen in the centre, and a spare bedroom to the right where the tailors set up their sewing machines. An overhead metal rail at the front of the stage is used to slide across props that transform the space into different locations. At the start of the show, Ishvar, Om and Manesh are all crammed into the same train that is taking them to Dina’s house. A set of overhead grab handles are slid along the track and through the use of lighting, sound effects, and the jostling bodies holding onto the rails, the set becomes a moving train. That the train hits a bump and is delayed by what is probably a body on the tracks (either suicide or murder victim) and the nonchalant reactions of the commuters quickly establishes the normality of such occurrences and foreshadows more to come. Next the hand holds are slid off stage and a door is slid across to become Dina’s front door. This was a quick and effective way to control set changes. On two occasions, video text displayed on the door to establish time jumps (e.g. 3 months later, 8 years later).In the end, I still would have preferred to spend my time watching a happy play, but I definitely appreciated this work for the touching performances and the innovative staging.


No comments:
Post a Comment